[lbo-talk] I Loves Me Some Chalabi

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri May 28 06:20:32 PDT 2004

By You Know Who --

<http://slate.msn.com/id/2101345/>

I like this --

"I do not know what happened at the Petra Bank, and not even Andrew and Patrick Cockburn, who have done the most work on the subject, can be sure that Saddam Hussein's agents in Jordan were not involved in the indictment of Chalabi by a rather oddly constituted Jordanian court. It could be, for all I know, that he was both guilty and framed. The litigation and recrimination continues, and it ought at least to be noted that Chalabi still maintains he can prove his case."

That's what you call major league base-covering, a tactic H. has polished of late. And this is funny --

"As to the accusation that Chalabi has endangered American national security by slipping secrets to Tehran, I can only say that three days ago, I broke my usual rule and had a 'deep background' meeting with a very 'senior administration official.' This person, given every opportunity to signal even slightly that I ought to treat the charges seriously, pointedly declined to do so. I thought I should put this on record."

So, I was chatting with Paul Wolfowitz the other day, and he said . . .

DP -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040528/b58a5ae9/attachment.htm>