[lbo-talk] Political leaning of the US population

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri May 28 06:18:21 PDT 2004

Doug:
> George Bush did not run as a right-winger. He ran as the
> "compassionate conservative" who promised a "humble" foreign policy.
> It seemed likely he'd be a reprise of his father, who was mostly an
> old-style WASPy Republican.

In the hindsight, the old-style WASPy conservatism of elder Bush was certainly more civilized and not that bad, comparing to the gutter variety practiced by the junior and his gang.

> I didn't claim that NYC was representative. But central PA is rural,
> and most Americans live in metro areas.

Actually, it is pretty suburban (populated by Philly expatriates "escaping the city"), military (large Naval facility, boatloads of veterans), blue collar (esp. Lehigh Valley and York), and rust-belty (with the aging population of former coal miners). These are the people who brought us Rick Santorum and recently tried to oust Arlen Specter for being "too liberal" - the reactionary Toomey who run against him was only narrowly defeated. The only truly "rural" folks there are probably the Amish - whom I would NOT describe as reactionary (their xtian background notwithstanding).

> Much of NJ, which is where I get my experience of America outside
> NYC, is full of women (as are most other places), gays, blacks, and
> foreigners. There are Indians and Korans all over northern Joisey.

Northern NJ is, for all practical purposes, an extension of NYC. It is pretty diverse, I agree. But things change when you move west and south.

> Though SI has some black neighborhoods, it is fairly reactionary in
> the way you describe, but Brooklyn?

I was thinking Bensonhurst, Flatbush, Brighton Beach etc. - not exactly beacons of liberalism. Besides, Black population is not exactly the avant garde of progressivism and liberalism as some want to believe - it has more than a fair share of bigots, racists, reactionaries, x-tians, and political nihilists. Black are not that much different from Whites.

> ethnically diverse jurisdictions in the U.S. The country is far more
> diverse in every sense than you give it credit for. In fact, one of
> the right's great confidence tricks is to posit a "real" America -
> that of simple white folk, living in their nuclear families in small
> towns - that is actually a statistical minority. Why play along?

I could not agree more and never did I say that the country was monolithically conservative. All I was saying that the proportion of the population that is swayed by conservative ideas is much larger here than in most European countries. Specifically, I was arguing against the notion, which in my view is still firmly espoused by liberals and lefties, that the "common folk" will overwhelmingly "go progressive" (vote for left-of-the center candidates, support progressive policy initiatives, abstain from bigotry and reactionary hatred) if only given a chance.

Wojtek