[lbo-talk] Re: 9/11 related interviews or content

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 08:46:57 PDT 2004

First of all I am quoting a KPFK programmer, not myself. I think you know this and are simply playing games. Anyway, as you know Pacifica is a *network* consisting of 5 stations of which WBAI - where your program runs is one. It is true that the WBAI listenership seems to have declined or at least are not responding appreciably to fund drives, but this has to do with internal squabbles and bad management and resulting bad radio. Indeed, Pacifica just went through a major finance and governance crisis - and Pacifica programming is quite multifacted, ranging from the type of work you do, to the immensely popular Amy Goodman, to Dennis Bernstein, Sonali Kolhatkar, Marc Cooper and so on. The kind of programming MY Karthik is exploring is the exception rather than the rule on Pacifica and the recent episode with Berlet and Griffin, and the coverage of the 9-11 hearings by Larry Bensky during which he shut out 9-11 skeptics, shows how people with your sensibilities tend to dominate Pacifica programming. Also, it is simply not true at KPFA and KPFK that listenership has declined. Fund drives a re a tangile measure of listener support and both KPFA and KPFK just completed very succesful fund drives (as KPFA programmers/listeners on this list can attest - or just go to their websites. So you are absotutely wrong.