[lbo-talk] Shuddup Unless You Support Free Speech (Was Re: Lawyers Should be Indicted)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 08:48:42 PDT 2004

So, Nathan, are we with Sidney Hook -- Heresy Yes, Conspiracy No? Do you support only free speech for supporters of free speech? You think that the government has the right to suppress speech if it is made by a Stalinist or a Nazi, etc.?

Apparently regardless of content -- it's the beliefs of speaker that does it for Hook or Nathan, not what the speaker says -- something that goes way beyond the idea advocated by, say, Charles, that racist or fascist speech should be suppressible. So a case can be made that Charles is more of a civil libertarian than Nathan on First Amendment issues.

This position, by the way, creates a self-reference problem, because it sort of raises the question about how much someone who supports the Hook position is a supporter of free speech -- and if he is not one, his speech may be suppressed.

jks (still a First Amendment fundamentalist)

http://articles.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1132/is_6_54/ai_94142091/pg_