Lawyers Should be Indicted (Re: [lbo-talk] Doug Henwood profile

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri May 28 20:30:12 PDT 2004

Nathan Newman wrote:
>...the original issue...is...how to handle lawyers who are involved in
>ongoing advice to clients who are still involved in the alleged illegal
>activity....

But, but, the sheik, her client, was charged with conspiring to blow up the World Trade Center, and the alleged criminal activity she is charged with furthering is the publication of the sheik's opinion about the political course to be followed by his former associates in Egypt. The crime for which he was, rightly or wrongly, convicted has nothing to do with the "crime" she is accused of conspiring to help commit. That her public statements are the overt act on which the charges are based is in itself proof of *innocence*, since a terrorist criminal would obviously convey criminal instructions in a more discreet way.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)