[lbo-talk] Upcoming books on climate change

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat May 29 15:10:38 PDT 2004

... reviewed by Verlyn Klinkenborg -- very sobering.

"Man-made climate change isn't as percussive as nuclear war. It lacks the immediacy of a mushroom cloud over the Nevada desert. Yet without international action -- a new Manhattan Project to develop low-impact energy technologies and a revolutionary commitment to global equity -- it too promises social and economic collapse. Climate change is a slow Bomb, and it has already been detonated. You and I and the next-door neighbors are all part of the problem. And even if we all shifted course immediately and began sharply reducing the causes of global warming, it would take many years before those actions began to register significantly. All the more reason, of course, to begin now -- to have begun 30 years ago."

More at <http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/30/books/review/30KLINKEN.html>

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _________________________________ "Instead of the comforting rationale that merit breeds success and the successful have merit, a more rational approach would be to speculate that in our society wealth and power tend to accrue to those who are ruthless, cunning, avaricious, self-seeking, lacking in sympathy and compassion, subservient to authority and willing to abandon principle for material gain..." --Noam Chomsky