[lbo-talk] Nader Does the CFR

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sun May 30 10:07:49 PDT 2004

'Troops out now' is a slogan Doug. Slogans are simplistic expressions of popular will. What Nader said is essentially the same thing - but in realistic terms. To be sure, it panders too much to the crowd who want to hear a 'responsibly articulated plan', but hey, the US did not enter Iraq in an instant, and the US military-industrial complex is faily well ensconced in that country so any kind of withdrawal would have to be a faily drawn out sensibly thought-out affair - unlike the forced evacuation of Saigon in April 1975. When Spanish Prime Minister-elect Zapatero said he is pulling that country's troops out of Iraq 'within months', it was not greeted with protests of 'no we want them out tomorrow' from the Spaniards, it was understood that it would take months to pull out 1300 troops. What more the tens of thouusands of US troops, not to mention the elaborate psuedo-colonial state apparatus they have set up. Indeed, if Nader had said 'Troops out tomorrow' he would be pounced on as being unrealistic.

Joe W.