[lbo-talk] plain text in web-based Outlook

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 21:17:36 PDT 2004

I'm very familiar with the Outlook Web Access client (or OWA as it's known) of versions 5.5 and 2000 of Microsoft's mail server platform -- Exchange.

As far as I know, there's no way, using the limited interface OWA provides, to set outgoing mail to default to plain text. OWA is an active server page shadow of the full Outlook "fat-client", hosted by Microsoft Exchange, that uses an IIS web server for presentation and authentication offering a user only limited control.

I understand that Exchange 2003 -- or, more to the point, the OWA interface Exchange 2003 provides -- gives the user a wider range of control options. The OWA 'look and feel' more closely mimics the full featured Outlook client. I haven't had a chance to deploy and troubleshoot MSEXCH 2003 yet so I'm not certain these claims are true.

In any event, I recommend reviewing the following Microsoft documentation regarding customizing OWA:

Orig URL -

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=6532E454-073E-4974-A800-1490A7CB358F

Condensed URL -

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M28E42F68

It may be that some tweak is available -- most likely on the server end -- that your admin can apply to default your messages to plain text.

.d.