[lbo-talk] in defense of Wal-Mart

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 31 14:49:12 PDT 2004

Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

> But do we LBOers make a similar claim when we can have our own leftish version of Wal Mart Apolgia when we point out while Wal Mart is guilty of a lot of things, and while it is nearly impossible to organize a union there, lets say, it is more possible than forming one at a romanticised mom 'n pop store, where no doubt, mom and pop are livid every time they hear a politician suggest raising the minimum wage and pull their hair out at all those damned worker saftey regulations that cut into their modest profits.

What difference does it make? Wal-Mart is part of the terrain on which we struggle -- it is a given. Arguments about whether it is "good" or "bad" seem pointless, since our opinions are not going to either increase or decrease the number of Wal-Marts (or of Mom-&-Pops) out there.

(The same applies to an argument that has in the past generated rather bad feelings on several lists: Are Mexicans from small villages better off in the village or in a Maquiladora? Who cares? Either side of the argument resembles an argument over whether trees would be prettier or uglier if their leaves were blue instead of green.)

Carrol