[lbo-talk] Military above criticism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 1 07:26:36 PST 2004

John Pilger finds a "surreal quality" in a campaign about a war where "the degree of censorship by omission is staggering," of which "the coming atrocity in the city of Fallujah ... is a case in point."

Gen. Tommy Franks, who recently opined that terrorist attacks could lead to the discarding of the the Constitution in favor of a military form of government in the US, offers the following observation in this morning's Wall Street Journal: "[Kerry's] criticism of the military conduct of our global war on terrorism disrespects our troops."

That's Kerry's gentle, not to say pusillanimous, criticism of the military conduct of the war. Apparently, to respect our troops, we can't criticize what the military does. In a piece boosting Bush, Franks is trying to make his own prediction come true. --CGE