[lbo-talk] kids like Kerry, Ralph a yawn

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 07:28:41 PST 2004

It makes sense that young people are not supportive of Ralph Nader, after all, for most young adults who have become political aware over the last decade or so, their first introduction to Ralph Nader has not been as a consumer advocate but as a marginal political figure or 'spoiler', as opposed to older people who have a more comprehensive sense of who Ralph Nader is - and have obviously not been doing a good job of giving their younger friends a fair sense of what Ralph Nader's legacy is. As to Kerry himself, mainstream polls, for what their worth consistently reflect that one of Kerry's main disadvantages vis a vis Bush is that 'people do not know who he is' it is therefore surprising that kids seem to know more about him - or enough to form an opinion - than most adults, it also strongly suggests that whatever opinions young people may have formed of Kerry are very superficial.

Incidentally, I was listening to the BBC's 'Talking Point' yesterday and several people called in saying that they were Democrats but were voting for Bush. Whatever one thinks about the 'Nader factor' surely a more significant factor is the 'Democrats-who-vote-Republican factor' - which progressive Nader bashers conviniently ignore. Nader is a classic scapegoat. Why worry about Nader when the Democratic Party cannot even mobolize all its own members to vote for their candidate?

Joe W.