[lbo-talk] kids like Kerry, Ralph a yawn

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Mon Nov 1 07:53:17 PST 2004

Imagine a lot of this must be attributable to the recent Democratic buzz about a military draft being the inevitable by-product of Bush's foreign policy. Exaggerated or not, it could be the factor that throws the election to the Democrats, no? Meanwhile, the Republicans' own October surprise probably has Karl Rove on the phone right now demanding that Allawi immediately "approve" a US-led assault on Fallujah on the eve of the election. Problem is that the Sunnis say they will boycott the January election if that happens, which is a complication Negroponte and the interim Iraqi governing group can't ignore. Also, too many US casualties on election day wouldn't look too good, although this must be a secondary consideration against the likely patriotic groundswell which would result and play in Bush's favour. I was expecting this to occur over the weekend, given all the leaks last week about an "imminent" assault on Fallujah, but maybe it's just a big bluff or is being held for shortly after the election.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 10:00 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] kids like Kerry, Ralph a yawn