[lbo-talk] Where Do Leftists Live in the USA?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 1 10:50:20 PST 2004

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu:
>Every successful social movement in human history has refused to
>cast any aspersions on voting, which is a sacred, indispensable, and
>hard-won human right.

I do not "cast any aspersions" on voting. It is the electoral college (among other problems), supported by the Democratic and Republican Parties, that violates equal rights to voting and make only votes of 27% of Americans matter while votes of 73% of them are practically uncontested in the presidential election. Unless and until the electoral college is abolished or most leftists make a concerted decision to move to states like Ohio (both of which is unlikely), the majority of Americans continue to live in one-party states, and the majority of US leftists, in *left-leaning urban areas* like New York City, Chicago, and the Bay Area, most often in *states dominated by the Democratic Party* like New York, California, and Illinois. Based on this fact, I'm saying that most US leftists should prioritize social movements and, if they get involved in electoral politics, they should be building the Green Party (or any other party on the left that they choose to support) against the Democratic Party establishment at both the local and national levels. I don't know how you manage to distort the above into a straw man that all leftist should "renounce voting as a waste of time and pretend like there is some mass movement going on that we all ought to be working 40 hours a week for."

If you have a good argument why all leftists should prioritize electoral politics over social movements or devote equal time to electoral politics and social movements in all states (even in Oklahoma!), however, I'm all ears. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>