[lbo-talk] Re: Tariq Ali Endorses Kerry . . . for the Battleground States

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 1 11:14:44 PST 2004

Dear List: Yoshie writes

> What I don't understand is why leftists like Doug, Tariq Ali,
and a number of subscribers to LBO-talk have to help the Democratic Party avoid issues and evade solutions by offering depressingly dumb arguments like "Nader is a narcissist" (as if that mattered were it true and as if Kerry weren't a narcissist), "Nader is not a Marxist" (true, but so what!), "Republicans support Nader" (true in some cases, but far more Republicans support Kerry an incomparably bigger sum of money, and leftists ought to be more weary of big Democrats' money than marginal Republicans' money, as the former always comes with many strings attached), etc., rather than comparing Nader's and Kerry's programs.

Because we humans seem to vote for people as well as programs, and as a person, Nader is not much -- racist, homophobic and anti-porn/sexual freedom.

As for programs -- he supports mom & pop capitalism and is against corporate capitalism. Is any form of capitalism defensible and worth advocating for?

Here in New York City today he is speaking on Wall Street and at the Cooper Union in the gentrified East Village. What about Harlem? Bed-Stuy? Nader appeals to white academics and their hangers-on who can afford to vote their conscience or send a message to their future selves. That is why Nader appeared at so many college campuses -- the hothouse of academia is the perfect environment for his particular brand of otherworldliness.

Unlike the CBC whom he blasted on his website for not falling into line like good little Stepin Fetchits, the denizens of academia are apt to embrace Nader's rhetoric. Look at teh pic on his website -- white people standing and cheering for their hero. Couldn't they manage to sneak in one token black person?

As my husband says -- this election is like picking which bullet you want to get shot with. I guess Nader suporters are picking the bullet that will strike their future selves.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister