[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali Endorses Kerry . . . fortheBattlegroundStates

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Nov 1 18:37:26 PST 2004

The DP has no particular "Hold" on the left. What it has is a monopoly, along with the repubs, on the executive. Given this fact, in situations such as the present presidential election the question becomes solely about which choice presents the greatest degrees of manoeuvre for the left and its activists. If Kerry wins by a slim margin the left (its electoral votes) becomes a key player. If Bush wins the whole nature of the game shifts. The QUESTION is not about which candidate will give more goodies to the left, but rather, which President will pay a higher price for acting bellicose towards the left. Now this is the scenario that Yoshie refuses to engage only because Yoshie maintains that there is no difference. Say it as many times as you like but it does not make it so.

Travis