[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali Endorses Kerry . . . for theBattlegroundStates

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 2 06:24:47 PST 2004

T Fast wrote:

>Now now be generous I am sure you would count yourself among the
>left Doug even though you were not at the million worker march and
>intend to vote for Kerry.

I am, yes. But I think people like Carrol, Brad, and Yoshie think that the tasks are self-evident: "smash the DP, build an independent left." This is very very hard. There are massive organizational, legal, and ideological constraints on doing so. You can't just shout at people, "Vote for Nader!" when they think that voting for Nader is like pissing in the wind. You can't organize a MWM two weeks before the election by telling people to get over their attachment to the DP. You can't fight the deep structures of American "common sense" by exhortations.

Doug