[lbo-talk] Stupid Elections, Leftist Cowards

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 2 13:23:46 PST 2004

Here's at least my rationale, Shane. Bush will stay the present course. Kerry may do something like call an international peace conference embracing the whole ME. I say _may_, and I do so without illusions about the likely crummy basis for that conference, but it's at least imaginable from him. I fully expect my small hopes to be snuffed, but how do you take a vote away from the only force to Bush's left that stands a chance to end his reign? I can't throw away even this 5% chance that Kerry brings. Bush is that bad.

CounterPunch, in fact, ran a comparison to the 1932 situation, which is apt, though their author missed the key point. FDR was forced by popular forces to improve the society, despite having run in 32 as a budget balancer. Kerry could be forced in the same direction by the people. He did once protest Vietnam and did open up the BCCI/Contragate thing. Again, I'm not at all optimistic, but I can honestly imagine a scenario in which it would happen.

And I say all this as a hardcore Nader-liker. I voted for him in 96 and 00. Ralph should have quit and endorsed Kerry two weeks ago.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Shane Mage Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 11:45 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Stupid Elections, Leftist Cowards

Ulhas asks:
>Are foreign policy questions the really decisive ones in the US
>politics?

"foreign policy" is never at issue in US duopolist politics. The issue in today's Stupid Election is The War. And what makes this election really, really stupid is that the vast majority of antiwar Americans, including, apparently, most of those posting on this list, have so succumbed to ABB Dementia that they are actually voting *for* the war by giving their vote to a pro-war candidate without even a trace of a "tactical voting" rationale.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."