[lbo-talk] warning to Woj

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Tue Nov 2 20:24:00 PST 2004

At 5:41 PM -0800 2/11/04, joanna bujes wrote:

>...if Bush loses...as a result of an all out effort to go vote,
>you're going to have to say one nice thing about murricans. Just one.

If Bush loses, as a result of a big increase in voter turnout, it will be an encouraging sign for democracy in America. I'm sure it will help to restore the world's faith in Americans and America.

To be truthful, I'm not sure that's the outcome I was hoping for though. Would restoring the world's faith in America be a good thing? I have a gut feeling it may not be so good in the long run. Especially if Americans, having got rid of another insane tyrant, just go back to sleep.

But I agree, it would say good things about Americans. They may be contemptuous of democracy, in the sense of not bothering to vote most of the time, but at least they draw the line at George W Bush. No-one could argue that re-electing that clown would not imply something fundamentally indecent about Americans.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas