[lbo-talk] Re: Tariq Ali Reiterates

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 2 21:38:32 PST 2004

Red and blue got reversed because of some combination of commercial media self-censorship and DP desire to deny any left ties.

But Bush is not "romping home" here, at least not yet. Ohio isn't over.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of kjkhoo at softhome.net Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 9:29 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: Tariq Ali Reiterates

At 10:14 am -0500 2/11/04, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Kinda. The U.S. elite started moving seriously to the right in the
>mid-1970s, as profit rates fell, wildcat strikes rose, and bond
>returns were persistently negative. The Republican party shed its
>northeastern and midwestern moderate base for a hard-right southern
>and western base (and the southerners left the DP for the RP). I'm
>not sure foreigners, and even a few American leftists, appreciate
>what a toxically reactionary and ruthless formation the RP is.
>
>And for all those who complain about how far right the DP has moved
>- yeah, if your base of comparison is 1972. But no, not if your base
>is 1952. What's really moved right in U.S. politics is the RP.

I think I understand how toxic the RP is in relation to domestic US. Except that until recently, it seemed that as far as the rest of the world was concerned, it didn't make that much of a difference.

As for whether the DP has moved much further to the right, isn't it the case that since the 1980s, particularly, the whole spectrum has shifted rightwards, including in Europe? And the defeat -- it's beginning to look that way -- this time, will definitely shift the spectrum even further to the right. Doesn't look like even the popular vote is going to be razor thin.

Worse, I don't think there are any rationalisations for this. It was a referendum on Bush, and he romped home.

All too depressing for words.

By the way and just sheer curiosity: how did red come to be RP and blue DP? In the UK, blue would be tory.