[lbo-talk] Ohio Picks the Next Shogun

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Tue Nov 2 21:46:49 PST 2004

At 9:20 pm -0800 2/11/04, Brad Mayer wrote:
>And the Dems are finished.

No. The Dems will just move right. Then the meaning of "no difference" will be spelled out loud and clear, and some people can then wank off to the fulfilment of their stance.

Earlier, someone was bashing Tariq Ali over the Labour Party. Well, the series of losses by the LP through the 80s and the early 90s brought about the dismemberment of the historical coalition and the rise of the "new" LP, led by Thatcher in drag, although all said and done, there's still a hair's worth of difference between them and the tories. It's going to be worse with the Dems, given it's much more chequered history.

It's unbelievable that the richest, and amongst the best schooled population in the world has gone for a bunch of liars and fallen for the politics of fear and arrogance. Hey, I was watching this guy from the Hudson Inst on Hardtalk (BBC) a couple of nights back, and this guy justified what he believed on the grounds that the prez of the US had said it (and they think we are totalitarian or authoritarian?). Then, earlier, on the BBC's State of the Union (before a Kennedy School crowd, I think), there was Woolsey and someone from the AEI, and Mad Albright and Holbrooke, and I never thought the day would come when I would actually cheer Mad Albright. The venom spewing out of the mouth of the AEI woman was unbelievable. And realism began to look pretty good.

kj