[lbo-talk] some post-US election recommendations............

Patrick Bond pbond at sn.apc.org
Tue Nov 2 20:45:28 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>
> > The 'globalization' in question is really the sway of corporations in
> >world politics, which thwarts progressive internationalism. I think
> >Doug Henwood's treatment of this in After the New Economy is the right
> >tack.

After the New Economy is a really great book - with the exception of the globalization chapter! Too many caricatures.

> One is social clauses in trade regimes,
> which I wholeheartedly support, particularly
> when they are the fruit of collaboration between
> global 'north' and 'south' constituencies.

Max, you know this is extremely contentious, particularly because there are few if any examples of any genuine collaboration between North and South unionists in favour of the social clause. And you know that the basic principle of internationalist work is to identify what your comrades in the South want, and if it's sanctions against them (the social clause), fine - support them (as in apartheid-era South Africa or Burma today). But if your comrades are not calling for sanctions, don't advocate them, 'wholeheartedly' or at all. Right?