[lbo-talk] Provisional ballots

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Wed Nov 3 14:10:29 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 03:43:51PM -0600, John Thornton wrote:
> What happens with the provisional ballots in Ohio? Last I read there were
> 200,000 to 250,00 uncounted. While unlikely it is possible that counting
> them could give Ohio to Kerry, then what? I don't mean to hold out false
> hope but I am curious. Why didn't Kerry insist on waiting until those votes
> were counted before conceding? Why thumb his nose at those voters and make
> lame claims about trying to move on and heal and shit like that? Are them
> Dems afraid to take the fight to the Repubs? Does anyone believe if the
> tables were turned that the Repubs wouldn't have wanted those votes counted
> before conceding?
>
> John Thornton

Slate's The Explainer has the answer. Summary - the conceding is non-binding.

Are Concession Speeches Legally Binding? Kerry holdouts want to know. Posted Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2004, at 10:55 AM PT

This morning "Explainer" readers have been clamoring to know: Are concession speeches legally binding? When Kerry concedes, will vote counting in Ohio stop? As Emily Yoffe explained in this 2000 Explainer, concession speeches are courtesies.they carry no legal weight. And they don't halt vote counts, either. Ohio will continue to count its provisional ballots, even after Kerry's concession speech.

http://slate.com/id/2109127/

Owen