[lbo-talk] It wasn't about "moral values"

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 3 15:56:48 PST 2004

Look, I just don't buy the idea that this whole thing was about "moral values." First off, if the exit polls were so inaccurate in measuring who people voted for, why were they accurate in measuring what motivated them? I'm sure that a lot of Bush supporters listed "moral values" as the motivating factor for why they got out to vote, but those people are the organized Christian right base who are going to vote in the first place. It's true that the anti-gay ballot initiatives in places like Ohio must have brought them out in droves, but the bottom line is that there just aren't enough of them to swing an election, especially in swing states. My hunch -- and I will relent on this point only when I see very convincing numbers to the contrary -- is that "moral values" came up as an issue because the large and militant plurality of voters who listed it are the same hardcore group of people who turn out for the Republicans in every election. That's not what got Bush to a majority.

(All this assumes that there was no election tampering that we couldn't see, of course. But no one except us is talking about that.)

My reason for feeling this is more than anecdotal, I think. Every weekend for months -- and in concentrated fasion for the past several weeks -- I have been walking in western Pennsylvania talking to working-class voters and to union members especially. Now, of course we won Pennsylvania and of course among union members and the working class generally we did even better, but there were inevitably Bush people in the mix. And only once out of the hundreds of people I talked to did I run into someone who was clearly on the religious right "moral values" program. A few others expressed reservations about abortion, but surprisingly few considering that this is a heavily Catholic region, and I have encountered that in a more widespread fashion in other years. People I've talked to who were doing the same kind of work said the same thing.

No, the reason Bush won is for the same reason that we have always thought he might win: because of the "terrorism" and "national security" stuff. Bin Laden putting out that tape is probably what did it in the end. He has quite a knack of helping Bush at critical moments. (And of course, this inevitably works with white people above all, which is one of my other obsessions, but which is also true.)

I know this makes four posts for me today, but I figured I'd bring this up since I think the discussion on this matter has gone off the rails. I think we're all picking up on a piece of conventional wisdom that has been widely circulated in the media for the past day, but is not likely true.

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

Tell no lies, claim no easy victories.