[lbo-talk] let me clarify - was Re: No, actually, I don't believe it...

Seth Ackerman sethia at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 3 18:44:20 PST 2004

...what I meant about morality and politics was this. I don't think the left/liberals should modify any of their positions or pull a Sister Souljah. But I believe a signifiant percentage of people who say they put stock in 'values'- not most, just a significant number - aren't necessarily most obesessed with gays and abortion, even if they do happen to be conservative on those issues. Instead, their biggest concern is that they think the society and culture have gotten too selfish, which they equate with libertinism. In other words, they don't really distinguish between the Enron exec who rips off his workers to pay for a luxury party in Greece and the mythical girl who gets an abortion so she can fit into her prom dress. I think this is one reason so many Americans are confused about political labels. It's amazing how many peoplewho describe themselves as 'conservative' will, in polls,support the most insanely radical economic proposals. In their mind, conservative means 'someone with values,' which means something like 'caring about other people.'

Seth