[lbo-talk] No, actually, I don't believe it.

Gary? sladeg at verizon.net
Thu Nov 4 05:20:57 PST 2004

Nathan Newman wrote:

> What are you talking about? Gore received 50.9 million votes. Kerry
> received 55.3 million votes, almost a five million vote increase.

http://uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/index.html

Gore=51,003,926 + Nader=2,883,105 = 53,887031

in 2004 Nader=396000, Kerry=54,996,123 with 96% votes in.

Looks to me there was a swing away from Nader, most probably a combination of not wishing to throw a vote away and his inability to stay on some ballots, that gave Kerry an extra 2.5 million. Hardly a mass turn out, just a shifting around with an expected increase in a voter base, the population isn't static, the voting pop. must have increased by at least several million in four years

As a
> percentage of eligible voters, Kerry got a higher percentage of that
> potential vote than and Democratic candidate since Jimmy Carter won in
> 1976-- who got roughly the same percentage of the potential vote-- and far
> more than Bill Clinton did in either 1992 or 1996.

obviously our sources differ and you seem to be rounding up and down as fits your argument

> Kerry had his weaknesses but he also had his strengths. He ran on a very
> progressive platform-- pro-union, anti-death penalty, pro-choice,
> pro-education-- with concrete goals to improve the lives of people we all
> care about.

well he failed to convey that message to me, the message I got was a guy with a glass jaw whose foreign policy was no better than Bush's. Anyway Americans vote on celebrity and Kerry doesn't have the good looks and charm.

Gary? ride si sapis