[lbo-talk] Re: No, actually, I don't believe it.

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Nov 4 07:44:50 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Mayer" <gaikokugo at fusionbb.net> -Kerry had his weaknesses but he also had his strengths. He ran on a very -progressive platform-- pro-union, anti-death penalty, pro-choice, -pro-education-- with concrete goals to improve the lives of people we all -care about. And he never pulled a Sister Souljah maneuver or screwed -welfare moms as a political ploy, as Clinton-- a far better politician -admittedly -- did to gain moderate support.

-Newman is entirely hypocritical when he opportunistically bashes Clinton, -conveniently off the stage at present. In fact, were Clinton the candidate -now, Newman would be mindlessly pumping for him full bore.

Brad- I was extremely critical of Gore four years ago and bashed Clinton when he deserved bashing throughout his Presidency-- in fact, I organized mass marches and protests against his welfare reform policies back in 1996.

Kerry was one of the most progressive Senators in the US. You may insist that only a Senator too liberal for Massachusetts is an acceptable standard-bearer of progressive values, but you just sound silly in the present context.

There are many ways that Kerry could have honed his message but his basic policies matched most of the progressive demands on immediate domestic policy change. That's a fact.

Nathan Newman