[lbo-talk] How about some honesty and integrity?

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Thu Nov 4 07:47:59 PST 2004

It would be nice that people who proclaim themselves experts about policy get some of the basic facts straight. Fully implementing ALL of Kerry's ideas would have reduced the (future) uninsured by over 20 million (which is a good thing) mostly by expanding children's access to Medicaid. Please note that the reinsurance schemes he proposed would have helped insure around 2 million (which is a good thing and a proposal I agree with). Given that the uninsured will soon reach 50 million (my own 2006 estimate) in this country, Kerry's proposals would have increased access to 40% of those people. THIS IS NOT UNIVERSAL HEALTH INSURANCE let alone universal health care (millions of poor people with health insurance face cost barriers to health care that Kerry was largely not addressing).

Quoting Nathan Newman's butchering of Kerry's platform <nathanne at nathannewman.org>:

> * Universal health care

Democrats constructed a "universal health care" proposal in Maine which as of this date has managed to sign up less than 2000 people of the 150,000 uninsured in Maine (more to come surely but there is nothing universal about it as it is purely voluntary). It is very possible that that is the best one could do given the political climate (but Maine has an unusually expensive health care system that is driving the popular support for the reforms and yet the proposal as implemented sadly does little about directly addressing health care costs.

I think the loss in California of the "pay or play" financing mechanism for their health care expansions is sad but not particularly surprising (given that it has already happened elsewhere). It proves what I have been saying for many years that any health care expansion has to be intricately related to a clear progressive, fair way of containing costs (a meassage Democrats and many progressive forces sadly address with lip service). I do think the American people are capable of seeing that. While there are many complicated issues, we need people who actually care about the population honestly talking about these tough issues.

P. S., A colleague of mine just showed me her itemized bill from her routine ob/gyn checkup-- around $2000!!! I keep my mother's bill for my birth over my work area--delivery, nursery, 4 days in the hospital, and it is only $178.50 (around $1050 in current dollars using CPI).

P. S. S. I agree 100% with Nathan's thoughts about reasoned dialogue about "moral issues". I know that many people think that this is just code for bigotry but it is more complicated than that and festered because it was seldom addressed directly in the campaign (Kerry, to his credit, tried a bit but the press was not biting).

Jim

If you could hold the frozen flow of New Hope Creek And hide out from the one they said you might meet If you could unlearn all the words That you never wanted heard If you could stall the southern wind That's whistling in your ear You could take what is What is What is To what can never be

-Katell Keinig, "Gulf of Araby"