[lbo-talk] The Problems of Modernity

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 4 10:15:46 PST 2004

Dear List:

Dwayne writes:

> There is, as everyone should know by now, a huge voting
block of modern anti-moderns.

I have been criticized when I opposed a proceduralist approach, but I still maintain that an approach that looks at consequences is necessary. Proceduralism allows for Abrahamism and its wacky conclusions to reign supreme without any recourse to change.

> They enjoy microwaved instant oatmeal but believe angels
are tenderly observing their movements.

Whatever they believe is okay, so long as their actions based on these beliefs do not lead harm. We can never win the battle of getting them to stop believing, but we can fight them on the pragmmatic, real world consequences of their actions.

Leftists get hung up on being pure: you not only have to want the same result, but you have to want to get it in the same way and for the same reasons.

> These aren't horrible people, many are quite lovely, but they're
preoccupied with ancient concerns and live, only half the waking day, in the world of space probes, cloning and M Theory.

They are horrible because they allow horrible things to occur as a result of their actions and beliefs. The message has to be switched from "You are horrible because you are (fill in the blank)" to "You are horrible because actions based on your belief systems result in these tangible harms."

> Some have suggested the left follow this example, replacing the
nation/religion combine with some emotional variation on bread and butter issues (nation/jobs perhaps). Maybe.

Until we are dealing with rational, enlightened people who are not swayed by desire/emotions, it seems logical to base appeal on both rationality and emotion. Otherwise we start in a deficit position.

Doug writes:

> 51% of the electorate voted for Bush, meaning that 49% didn't.

Look at the numbers on the hate amendments:

Worst: 86% to 14% in Mississippi

Best: 54% to 46% in Oregon.

The situation on a cultural level is worse than the election returns might show. Queers and the threat they pose are the justification that America is going to use in order to regulate morality and rally the nation.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister