[lbo-talk] untapped "progressive" vote (was No, actually, I don't believe it.)

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Thu Nov 4 15:54:42 PST 2004

>John Thornton wrote:
>
>>That along with true universal health care would have brought out many
>>more people to vote who just stayed home and ignored all this shit as
>>being irrelevant in their lives.
>
>I'm just reading a poll that says that 48% of self-described conservatives
>support something like Canadian-style healthcare. Yet almost all
>"conservatives" voted for Bush. There's many a slip...
>Doug Henwood

True, but no candidate was offering a Canadian-style plan. If Kerry had offered it instead of the plan he did offer, that many poor and working people knew they couldn't afford anyway, they just might have turned out to vote for it. Why vote for a slightly better system that they still won't benefit from? They won't and didn't. It is entirely possible that I tell myself these untapped voters exist in large enough numbers so as to avoid the unhappy consequences of their nonexistence. I don't think that's the case but it is always a possibility.

John Thornton