[lbo-talk] mourn

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:05:29 PST 2004

>From: Liza Featherstone <lfeather at panix.com>
>

>Katha Pollitt's column is an excellent counter to all the stupid
>repetitions
>I've seen of that stupid cliche, "Don't Mourn, Organize."
>
>http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20041122&s=pollitt

[But how useful is Pollitt's message, which seems to be, "Don't Organize, Commit Suicide"? That's the only way I can interpret her conclusion, i.e:]

Maybe this time the voters chose what they actually want: Nationalism, pre-emptive war, order not justice, "safety" through torture, backlash against women and gays, a gulf between haves and have-nots, government largesse for their churches and a my-way-or-the-highway President.

Where, I wonder, does that leave us?

[Where indeed!]

Carl