[lbo-talk] Re: Bush's Base

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Nov 4 17:58:49 PST 2004

I seem to recall that when I was a teenager in the 60s, Protestants didn't give a shit about abortion, not even fundamentalists. Anti-abortionism was mainly aCatholic doctrine. This seems to have changed sometime in the 70s. Does anyone know more about this? Turbulo

-------

It takes a really old guy to remember, but the reason it wasn't an issue is because abortion was illegal until 1973 and Roe v Wade. That's why the fundies suddenly discovered it.

I was married by then and changing diapers, but I remember what a relief it was. It was only about fifteen years too late to do my generation any good, but at least it didn't fuck up the next one.

Most people these days have no idea what it was like to know a girl in a panic over this shit. I knew three, all ex's---none by me. There was a whole underground thing with local obgyn's who would see you if you were under age and not report to your parents, there was a transportation hassel to get to Mexico, there was the post-op thing with antibiotics, and on and on.

Vastly stupid, mean, cruel and dark...just like the fundies.

CG