[lbo-talk] Purists' Glee

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Thu Nov 4 19:22:09 PST 2004

At 4:46 pm -0500 4/11/04, Doug Henwood wrote:
>There are also state maps, one by conventional geography and the
>other electoral vote weighted, at
><http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/politics/2004_ELECTIONRESULTS_GRAPHIC/>.

Hey, if one goes by this, with historical maps back to 1960, then things really don't look so bad -- still heartbreaking, but in the context of a country thinking of itself at war, it's way of an improvement over 1972. I'd erased 1972 from memory -- gosh, could there have been anything more depressing than that, and a clearer difference in platform for the big issue of that moment? That was a moment to truly weep.

But it looks like in the course of the 1990s, a "liberal", for lack of a better term, "coalition" has coalesced around the East and West Coast, joined by the Lake states.

>PS: I read somewhere that the Bush-Cheney campaign website didn't
>permit visitors from outside the U.S. during the last couple of
>weeks of the election. Did anyone have this experience?

Can't help you there. Wasn't really paying close attention -- can't vote after all -- other than picking up on the drift.

kj