[lbo-talk] mourn

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Nov 5 06:53:22 PST 2004

>Gregory Geboski wrote:
>
>>... although I don't think "Don't mourn, organize" is a stupid cliche.
>
>It is. It's a command to substitute action for thought and feeling, a
>classic impulse of American activistism
><http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Action.html>.
>
>Doug

Yeah, exhortation is pretty useless without explanation, and irritating even then. The version that's more revealing (when it comes to activistism) is 'don't agonize, organize!' (Flo Kennedy?) which we translate around here as 'don't analyze, organize!' or 'beat your head against that wall some more, and with additional vigor.' But the impulse is not all wrong, to encourage ourselves and others not to retreat into domesticity or professionalism or hedonism or whatever other avenues might be open, just because the going gets tougher, which it will.

Jenny Brown