[lbo-talk] No Stolen Elections!

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 06:57:01 PST 2004

At 09:38 AM 11/5/2004, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>I agree with you, Doug. I wouldn't have titled a piece on this with "Kerry
>Won." It draws readers & heats up the base, sure, but it's ultimately
>meaningless, esp when Kerry himself obviously (privately?) disagrees.
>Still, if we are to take electoral politics seriously, then we have to
>investigate what seems to be a growing trend -- attempts at suppressing
>the vote in poorer areas, use of Diebold machines and the privatization of
>vote counting. In other words, we have to show greater America that for
>all its talk about the Beauty of Democracy, there's a nasty, malicious
>underside that is expanding. We'll get slammed as "conspiracy nuts," which
>is why we need to be careful. But it's not as if we're making this shit up.

bullshit. bullshit. bullshit. it is NOT conpsiracy nuttery. the proper response to the charge is: "that's nice."

>At 09:24 AM 11/5/2004, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>The fraud & intimidation should be investigated and denounced. But saying
>>"Kerry won" is delusional and hypocritical.

awwww.hell.naw. If you're going to kick these guys right into the hell they believe in and make them stay there, then you must banish the thought that this is "delusional and hypocritical"

The proper response to the charge should be to nod and smile and fold your arms across your chest, glaring. "It troubles you that the EC could give your arch enemy the WH? Go.Fsck.Yourself!"

Cause they are hypocrites, too, if they _ever_ tried to scream about it.

Second, if the drip-drip-drip (otherwise known as Mr. Coffee) vote fraude went on all across the country... That three million would shrink so fast.... And the Dems do it, this is NOT the proper response if you want to win (HI John Adams!) In the first place, what is the Dems MO? Typically, they are merely making up for the fact that the poor are obstructed from getting to the polls or even understanding the issues in the first place.

IT IS NOT FREAKIN' EQUIVALENT! These motherfuckers throw out the votes of people who are systematically disenfranchised and impoverished. It is freakin' time to stop admonishing ourselves for not playing by the rules in a game where the rules are rigged against us in the first place.

At 08:20 AM 11/5/2004, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>Again, I suggest you read this --
>
><http://www.tompaine.com/articles/kerry_won_.php>

Just so you know, I absolutely believed it would happen from the get go.

In case I didn't make myself clear, above. *grin*

BTW, while I moved to a majority white neighborhood, it borders on a poor black community. So, where I shop and such is mostly black. Every black person I spoke with in the past week said they either didn't trust their vote would be counted or they chose not to vote because they just felt powerless. White people I know, those who make below 30k, they just don't have time to know the issues. I think it'd all do those who want everyone to have time to go live on less than 30k, in a job without access to the Web, in a world where there's little time for leisure, where you're burdened with demands from family and friends that make it pretty hard to spend time reading the paper.

Speaking of claims that somehow it's Kerry's fault that people didn't come out to vote... Not voting is a structural problem that will takes years to change. It was one frickin' campaign, one that was under assault from a filthy, low down, underhanded gang who simply threw shit ball after shit ball at KE04. Jesus. I don't think I could have held up under such attacks. Yoshie seems to think one campaign can undo entrenched practices, habits, institutions, and norms that keep these people from going to the polls! Very, very strange.

Also, it seems to me that they managed to get more poor and lower income people to vote for Kerry than they did for Gore. Given the entrenched structural factors at issue here, I'd say they did pretty damn well. And look at how many people earning over 50k voted for Gore but who fled into the open arms of the Busheviks this time around! Christ!

Income Support for Gore:

<15k 57% 15-30 54 30-50k 49 50-75k 51 75-100k 52

>100k 43

Support for Kerry

<15k 63% 15-30 57 30-50k 50 50-75k 43 75-100k 45

>100k 41 (guesstimate)

Oh and gee! it also looks like people earning over 100k were also underrepresented!

From CNN and Census Data (median income 42,409)

Income Distribution nationwide: <15k 15-30k 30-50k 50-75k 75-100k >100k

16.1 19.3 21.2 18.3 11.0 14

Income Distribution of Voters, 2004 (exit poll data at CNN): 8% 15% 22% 23% 14% 18

obviously, i need to have a drink. Is it 10 a.m. yet?

kelley "We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling