[lbo-talk] No Stolen Elections!

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Nov 5 07:01:48 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:24:43 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
> Chip Berlet wrote:
>
> >Given the racist targeting of Black voters, I am very unhappy with
> >the Kerry decision to concede before all the Ohio votes are
> counted.
> >

> So say Kerry won Ohio - he still would have lost the pop vote by
> 3m+.

But under the US Constitution that would still make him the president-elect.

> When Bush lost the pop vote by 500k and won the electoral vote, we
> denounced that as an antidemocratic abomination, which it was. But
> while 500k is virtual tie, a 3m pop vote lead is serious. Would we
> want to call a Kerry electoral college victory under those circs
> legitimate?

Well, as you may recall, back in 2000, part of the issue was whether or not Bush ever actually won in Florida. So even by the standards of our consitutional system, Bush's election in 2000 was suspect. Now if Kerry had actually won in Ohio (and at this point we don't know for certain that he actually lost there) then perhaps that would persuade Republicans that the Electoral College ought to be abolished.