[lbo-talk] And the Lesbians Shall Lead Us

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Fri Nov 5 07:23:09 PST 2004

You are going to have to explain your position more carefully on this. Are you saying the specific actions in Oklahoma are dangerous or misguided? Just them or are you saying the successful judicial, legislative, and popular victory of gay marriage in Massachusetts is a mistake? How about civil unions in Vermont?

The use of the courts to get past the unpopular legislative roadblocks to gay marriage in Massachusetts was extremely successful and gay marriage maintains popular support. Every candidate who supported gay marriage in Massachusetts one their election. Every single carpet-bagging candidate who came into this state to "fight for family values" was soundly drubbed by 50-70% margins. In fact several incumbents who did NOT support gay marriage were thrown out of office.

So, why aren't people praising the intelligence, hard work, and commitment of the people who fought for these gains (the Freedom to Marry coalition in particular)? I sincerely want to know.

Jim

Quoting DSR <debburz at yahoo.com>:

> Strategy is something that seems to be sorely lacking in all of this.
> We still don't get it. We're still living our activist lives in a
> McGive-it-to-me-now mode of thought. The conservative movement makes
> strategic plans... 5 year, 10 year, 20 year plans. They move slowly
> and with baby steps until - wham - suddenly everyone is wondering how
> Bush got re-elected.
>
> And the Left? The queer Left?

take a good look around see the ones who are trying you can't leave the ground when you're so scared of flying so put your life in your hands you're the best one to hold it and simply understand you're the one who controls it

you've got tonight and you've got tomorrow

love, love expression love, love expression

-It's Jo and Danny, "Love Expression"