[lbo-talk] POQ article on social attitudes

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Nov 5 07:43:06 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:
> John Thornton wrote:
>

>>>There was an interesting article in a recent ish of Public Opinion
>>>Quarterly showing that social attitudes in the U.S. have been
>>>getting steadily more "liberal" for decades, even during the
>>>supposedly conformist 1950s.
>>
>>Any chance you could post it?
>
> Nope. I could get it as a PDF, but that's hard to translate into text.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_simple_form.html

might help. or you could use that dreaded command line ;-) (or some ghostscript GUI) and convert pdf -> text or pdf -> ps -> text.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/macos/manual.htm#ps2ascii http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_ps2ascii.htm http://research.compaq.com/SRC/virtualpaper/pstotext.html http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/ http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/pstotext.htm

also, i think you may be able to use the text selection tool in acrobat reader to select, copy and paste just the text.

--ravi