[lbo-talk] No Stolen Elections!

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Nov 5 08:02:47 PST 2004

Doug writes:
>> So say Kerry won Ohio - he still would have lost the pop vote by 3m+.
>> When Bush lost the pop vote by 500k and won the electoral vote, we
>> denounced that as an antidemocratic abomination, which it was. But while
>> 500k is virtual tie, a 3m pop vote lead is serious. Would we want to
>> call a Kerry electoral college victory under those circs legitimate?
>> The fraud & intimidation should be investigated and denounced. But
>> saying "Kerry won" is delusional and hypocritical.

The Republican party conspired to steal the election, and succeeded (time was, that was illegal). Do we now say that any jim crow era tactics, any vote suppression, any electronic machines with no paper record, any rejected registrations, any 9-hour lines, any purge lists, any fraudulent phone calls and fake petitions and threatening mail and challenged voters, any of this is normal and expected and if the perpetrators win in the end, well, they get to take office? And are believed to have received a 'popular' mandate? The popular vote reflects these thousand cuts more than the electoral vote does.

In Florida, the Senate race was very close and had these tactics been stopped--oh, say, by enforcing the law?--we would've seen a different outcome here.

Nationally we saw suppression and manipulation of the vote that I think we'll find is only exceeded in the post-reconstruction period. It'll take a while for all of it to come out. Kerry made a bad mistake in conceding (giving him perhaps more credit than is due). He has no interest in fighting for our right to vote, however we do.

Jenny Brown