[lbo-talk] No Stolen Elections!

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Fri Nov 5 11:32:05 PST 2004

>So say Kerry won Ohio - he still would have lost the pop vote by 3m+. When
>Bush lost the pop vote by 500k and won the electoral vote, we denounced
>that as an antidemocratic abomination, which it was. But while 500k is
>virtual tie, a 3m pop vote lead is serious. Would we want to call a Kerry
>electoral college victory under those circs legitimate?
>
>The fraud & intimidation should be investigated and denounced. But saying
>"Kerry won" is delusional and hypocritical.
>
>Doug

No it's not. This is the way the Repubs would have played it and so by necessity it is the way the Dems should. Make the Repubs choke on their own shit. It isn't always about what's fair and right. If you want power you have to take it any legal way you can. The Dems should wait until all votes are counted and demand that "spoiled" votes in minority districts be counted and take power. Tell the Repubs if they don't like it they can work to abolish the EC but until then shut the fuck up and take the loss of the EC with "graciousness and dignity so we can work together blah, blah, blah..." No one can seriously doubt that if the tables were turned Bush would tell people that the only way anyone is getting the keys to the White House from him before all the votes are counted will be to pry it from his cold dead hand. Millions would then applaud him for his resoluteness. By the ignorant standards of the EC Kerry won.

John Thornton