[lbo-talk] And the Lesbians Shall Lead Us

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Fri Nov 5 11:43:22 PST 2004

Deborah:

> I agree totally, and that's why I don't understand why everyone
> reduces this argument to either/or, either gay marriage or ENDA or
> defeating the amendment when what we should be looking at is how each
> issue affects the other and be flexible enough to adjust strategies
> accordingly.

My mistake entirely--I thought I saw something in what you wrote that wasn't there.

Just to think out loud: can gay marriage be made part of the other projects for its economic aspects? Vice versa, with the protections of EDNA in place, can that provide a firmer basis for gay marriage, i.e., once a certain safety and parity is given to single gay/lesbian employees and becomes mainstream, the lack of certain economic benefits will become more glaring ("Bill, why can't you take time off under the Family Leave Act to take care of Tom?")

Thanks, Curtiss