[lbo-talk] Colo Student occupy School Library

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 5 13:02:30 PST 2004

Students at Colo. High School Protest Bush

Fri Nov 5, 2:59 AM ET

BOULDER, Colo. - About 85 high school students upset about the nation's direction were camping out in the school library, demanding an audience with Republican leaders.

Students began their protest Thursday and school officials said they could stay through Friday when representatives of their Democratic congressman, U.S. Rep. Mark Udall ,and U.S. Senator-elect Ken Salazar, were expected to visit.

The students said they also wanted to meet with thier superintendent's representatives along with Republicans Gov. Bill Owens and U.S. Rep. Marilyn Musgrave .

Some of the students left telephone messages with Republican leaders.

"We want them to reassure us that our fears are misguided and that the government is doing everything in its power to prevent our futures from being destroyed," said senior Brian Martens, who wore a hand-lettered T-shirt which said he was the "senior executive of the subcommittee on protesting stuff."

Students said they are not protesting the election, but are worried about the national debt, military recruitment in schools and the environment.