[lbo-talk] Frank on election

Eric Genrich ecgenrich at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 15:08:44 PST 2004

There's no question that the majority's disbelief in evolution is troubling and embarassing and should be combatted, but I don't think it's the barrier to otherwise (economically) progressive politics that it's been characterized as.

Here in Wisconsin the progressive Democratic Senator, Russ Feingold, polled far ahead of John Kerry, garnering the support of 10% of Bush supporters. This is the one Senator to vote against the PATRIOT Act. He also opposed the Iraq war and is a long-time supporter of universal health care, if not a single payer plan. Oh yeah, and he opposed the bigotry of the anti-gay marriage amendment.

Kerry was an empty suit who didn't stand firmly for anything, and he got 48% of the vote! I think it's too early to shut the lid on the potential for progressive nation-wide successes, despite the disappointment of the most recent presidential election.

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: Jordan Hayes wrote:

>Don't you mean that you're tired of living in a country where, _of the
>people who vote regularly_, more people believe in angels than
>evolution?

I'm afraid it's just as I said. Some snippets from Gallup (which has a funny definition of evolution in the first excerpt):

>Most recently, in Gallup's February 19-21 poll, 45% of respondents
>chose "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at
>one time within the last 10,000 years or so," the statement that
>most closely describes biblical creationism. A slightly larger
>percentage, almost half, chose one of the two evolution-oriented
>statements: 37% selected "Human beings have developed over millions
>of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this
>process" and 12% chose "Human beings have developed over millions of
>years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this
>process."
>
>The public has not notably changed its opinion on this question
>since Gallup started asking it in 1982.

>Although belief in God seems to have remained relatively stable over
>the last several decades, Gallup research indicates that belief in
>some other supernatural beings may be on the rise. In 1994, 72% of
>Americans said they believed in angels, and that percentage has
>increased to 78% today. Belief in the devil has increased from 55%
>in 1990 to 70% in 2004.

>Since 1997, belief in heaven has ranged between 72% and 83%.
>According to Gallup's most recent May 2004 Values and Beliefs poll*,
>81% of Americans currently say they believe in heaven, 10% are
>unsure, and 8% do not believe. As expected, regular churchgoers are
>more likely than others to say they believe: Virtually all (98%) of
>those who attend church weekly do so versus 89% who attend "nearly
>weekly" and 64% of those who say they attend church seldom or never.
>
>Belief in heaven is relatively high across all other demographic
>groups. The relatively high religiosity of Republicans is reflected
>here: 90% say they believe in heaven, compared with 82% of Democrats
>and 72% of political independents. Nonwhites are somewhat more
>likely than whites to believe in heaven (89% compared with 80%).
>Regionally, Southerners are somewhat more likely to believe in
>heaven (90%) than those in other regions are. Those with a high
>school education or less are more likely to believe than those with
>at least some college education.

>More recently, Gallup asked Americans if the devil is something they
>believe in, something they're not sure about, or something they
>don't believe in. Sixty-eight percent said in a May 2001* poll that
>they believe in the devil, 20% said they don't, and 12% said they
>aren't sure. Majorities of Americans of every political inclination,
>region, educational level, and age group said they believe in the
>devil.

There's nothing comparable anywhere else in the first world.