[lbo-talk] I thought elections weren't supposed to mean anything

Joel Wendland joelrw at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:31:50 PST 2004

The discussion filling my inbox -- far more annoyingly deep than normal -- is very confusing. Before the election we all agreed that the election isn't the most improtant thing about US politics, but now we ALL seem obsessed with it--even the folks who were shrillest about how unimportant voting is and how it is only symbolic. Now, they too are obsessed -- I mean about 20-or-30-e-mails-in-the-last-12-hours-from-one-person-when-I-thought-there-was-a-limit obsessed-- with it.

Further it seems, that the crowd who insisted that elections are of no or little importance are now saying it doesn't matter if you struggle over certain issues because it will all go bad anyway. I've seen such a post (or 6) by Yoshie and at least one from Carrol. That's nonsense.

So what's the deal?

If you don't want to fight the Bush agenda just say so. If you are mad that a certain someone got only 400,000 votes, you might be happy to know that we'd be in exactly the same spot if he had gotten twice that or three times that or 20 times that. Move on. I sure want to.

Joel Wendland

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/