[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 11, Issue 91

Brad Mayer gaikokugo at fusionbb.net
Fri Nov 5 18:27:58 PST 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

>But change the subject the left must. Since there is no way the
>left can out-Hallelujah the Republicans, the left must base its
>appeal on material terms and simply offer a better deal --
>guaranteed lifetime employment, healthcare, pensions, etc.

This is all true, but I'm really tired of living in a country where more people believe in angels than evolution. It's seriously and deeply fucked up. --------------------------------------------------------------

Doug, as "full of hate in search of random targets" as I am, I'm actually feeling a twinge of sympathy for you here. Just be glad you are in your Manhattan fortress. I've been living in the "real America" all my life, and it does get tiresome.

But the problem isn't people believing in angels, or in Elvis still being alive. Probably in Japan, land of anime, people are more superstitious than in America. The problem is people believeing in _political_ "angels", political Elvises. Political superstition.

The silver lining is this: what's really, objectively "fucked up" about America is precisely the unresolved contradiction between the life of the metropoles and the life of suburban-rural hinterland. There is both danger and hope in that situation.