[lbo-talk] Re: Noam on HBO

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Fri Nov 5 21:23:52 PST 2004

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:53:33 -0500
> From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>
> Subject: [lbo-talk] Noam on HBO
> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>
>
> Just a reminder -- Chomsky's on Maher's HBO show tonight, along with Andrew
> Sullivan. 11 PM Eastern. Should be fun.

Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't known about that. Just saw it. That was really strange. I've heard of Andrew Sullivan, but have never actually heard him speak or read anything by him. He seemed unable to process anything Chomsky said. The Nuremberg reference was a bit much for such a short segment, but otherwise I thought the points were clear. Is Sullivan always like that? How does "we supported Hussein in the past" and his reference to Hussein as a monster become "Chomsky thinks the U.S. is evil and he (Chomsky) supports dictators"? (not exact quotes) Maher's followups were awful. People have different views of what democracy and dictatorship are? What the hell was that? I never thought much of him on Politically Incorrect and he doen't seem much better now.