[lbo-talk] Andrew Sullivan is a stupid man

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 21:23:51 PST 2004

At 11:43 PM 11/5/2004, Luke Weiger wrote:
>That is all.

I don't know how he sleeps at night or looks himself in the mirror without getting the dry heaves.

I just wanted to say this: It is quite clear from watching Alan Simpson, Sullivan, some blogs, and a list where there are conservatives that the party line is _ALL_ about trying to insist that "we" have caused this situation because we make fun of religious people.

Maybe other people want to chalk up Simpson's bizarre behavior to audio problems, but I call bullshit. He came to that show chomping at the bit to hurl that Rove Talking Point at the audience. Sully was on about the same damn thing.

What is really telling is that they use the word "religious people." Excuse me? The 49% of the country that did not vote for Shrub are also religious. There is a small contingent who is not, and a much much smaller contingent who is hostile to _all_ religion. But, by and large, people who voted Kerry are religious, too.

This is a b.s. maneuver to hijack the discussion. It is _all_ about painting people as non-believers if they disagree with this administration and the tactics of the evangelical right. All the while, these turkeys are also trying to tell everyone that their feelings are hurt because the Hollywood elite makes fun of them or some such hooey.

Puh-lease. This is why this cannot be about religion or appealing to religion. They are not interested in talking about religion or even values. They are interested in narrowing the terms of discussion to _christian_ religion and values, and a narrowly defined kind of christian and values to boot.

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling