[lbo-talk] RE: Slavoj rounds bend, celebrates Bush's victory

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Sat Nov 6 07:17:14 PST 2004

> In These Times - November 5, 2004
> The Liberal Waterloo

I don't see what's so "round the bend" about this article. I assumed we are an empire. This is a new thought for me:

"In short, Bush's America pretends to be a new

global empire but it is not. Rather, it remains a

nation-state ruthlessly pursuing its interests.

It is as if U.S. politics is now being guided by

a weird reversal of the ecologists' well-known

motto: Act globally, think locally."

It sounds plausible to me. Perhaps that is what we are becoming.

The gist seems to be that while we mean to screw the rest of the world, including our supposed allies, the result is that our erstwhile allies will do quite well without us eventually.

His comments on the Left Behind novels leads me to pay attention to a theme I would otherwise dismiss out of hand. Armageddon for all but us, eh? As I read Zizek's article, Left Behind is a serious indication of the American mood, and it's suicidal. All the better for the rest of the world in the not too distant future.

Not so good for us perhaps.

Where am I mistaken, or Zizek around the bend?

John