[lbo-talk] Vive Yoshie !

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 6 07:37:11 PST 2004

It occurs to me a conversation I had with my orthopedic surgeon a couple months ago may throw some light on the response to Yoshie. I mentioned to her (my surgeon) that I had a feeling that orthopedic surgery was a particularly macho field, and I was curious as to what her experiences during her residency had been. (She had gone through her medical training before the women's movement had made a difference.) She replied that during the first year there was no trouble: she was just regarded as cute. But from the second year on, when she had a more senior position -- i.e., was giving orders to men -- it got very very sticky.

Yoshie refuses to be cute. And it's unbecoming for women to have strong opinions unless they wrap them in cuteness.

Carrol