[lbo-talk] RE: Slavoj rounds bend, celebrates Bush's victory

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 6 09:16:57 PST 2004

double bluff wrote:

>Bush might not hasten the Revolution (but he surely have greater
>chances than Kerry), but the point is that he is very likely to
>accelerate a lot the decline of US world empire, and that should be
>good for the rest of the world (after all the mess that will involve
>in the short to medium term); thereafter we should find some real
>multilateralism, policentric and based on some equilibrium of power
>between large blocs, like in the good ol' cold war...

So the U.S. empire's going to go down gracefully and not take out a lot of innocents as it falls?

Lieven argues in his new book that U.S. nationalism today is rather like the European nationalisms of the late 19th and early 20th centuries that led to several decades of war & depression. (A more satisfying parallel than the fascism one so many people default to.) I hope we're not going to repeat that history, only with far more firepower.

Doug