[lbo-talk] Jesus didn't exist....

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sat Nov 6 10:04:13 PST 2004

At 10:13 PM 11/5/2004, you wrote:
>I have forgotten the details, but the statement is that the material of the
>shroud dates from the 14th century or some such non-Jesus time period.
>
>Mike Ferro

my information, mike, is that it dates from the time of the demise of the knights templar; and that it could well be authentic, in fact the image of jaques de molay, which would date it during the early 14th century. the dating would jibe with what you recollect. not authentic jesus stuff but authentic nonetheless. there's a book about this if you're interested.

there are several interesting theories about the "historical" jesus, including the possibility there was more than one jesus. some opinions state the sect of judaism he founded was likely called the jerusalem church and pretty much disappeared with the destruction of the temple by the romans.

one of the more entertaining stories of the early jerusalem church is the power struggle between jesus's brother james, who allegedly died shortly after the destruction of the temple, and the later to be named "saint" paul. the mantle of the leadership of jesus's sect passed to james as his brother, as i understand a hebrew tradition of the period. paul was alleged to have attempted more than once to push james off the high temple wall while james was giving a speech in an effort to get rid of him. the two didn't agree and didn't like each other. james was the more forgiving and tolerant of the two. evidently, the pattern of paul's dogmatism, jealousy, ambition, vanity, ruthlessness, intolerance and holier-than-thou opinion of himself was demonstrated early. definitely a man on a mission from god ....